Saturday, February 6, 2010

Adam


I just watched Adam a movie I’ve heard about and I wanted to see after the good reviews it received at Sundance in 2009. It is the story of a lonely, brilliant young man named Adam played by Hugh Dancy, who has Asperger syndrome, who develops an awkward relationship with his upstairs neighbor, the brainy yet beautiful writer Beth (Rose Byrne). I am always skeptical about actors playing these characters because they can become ridiculous, cartoonish and/or melodramatic, like “Forest Gum” played by Tom Hanks and “I am Sam” played by Sean Penn, both awful performances in spite of the fact that Sean Penn is a magnificent actor, maybe it is the director’s fault.  It is weird love story which ofers a slightly different alternative to all the crap is out there,

Adam is both written and directed by Max Mayer. This movie premiered at Sundance and won the Alfred P. Sloan prize for a feature film with science as a theme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment